Have you ever heard of a slutty brownie? Here are two of my favourites:
Well this isn’t a brownie, but the same vein as the slutty brownie, I’m calling this my Tarty Lemon Slice.
I absolutely love citrus flavours in sweets and desserts but I’m often disappointed when I find that they aren’t tart enough. Well let me assure you, this lemon slice is tarty. I made this to take to a picnic in the park and I was actually worried I’d made it too tart. I warned everyone before they tried it that it was really tart, but I think that pretty much everyone really liked it…what tarts :)
You could try this with oranges instead of lemons or you could use a mix of lemon and lime juice and zest.
The base is a really simple pastry mix. The initial cook should just start to colour the edges but it won’t be fully cooked yet. After the initial cook, you can just pour your topping straight onto it while it’s still in the oven. I only took it out of the oven to take a photo for you :)
Always zest your lemons and then juice them. I learnt this one the hard way a long time ago.
The topping ingredients just need to be whisked enough for most of the sugar to dissolve. The rest will dissolve during the cooking process.
The slice is done once it’s set all over and starting to brown at the edges.
It’s much easier to cut and remove from the pan once it’s completely chilled. I made this the day before I needed it and then let it set in the fridge overnight. In the morning of the picnic, I just used a palette knife to help turn it out and then cut it into squares.
This is a sweet and tart slice so smaller squares may be best.
The tart will keep well for 2 days covered in the fridge. It is very sticky though so I layered it in between some baking paper slices to transport it. It might even be best to store it like this too.
Tarty Lemon Slice
Ingredients – Makes 1 large slice (20cm x 30cm)
For the Base
- 100g unsalted softened butter
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- 1 cup plain flour
For the Topping
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup of fine white sugar
- 2 tbs plain flour
- ½ cup lemon juice, you will need about 2 big juicy lemons
- zest from 2 lemons
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm x 30cm slice tray or ovenproof dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the pastry base. Once it’s well combined, sprinkle the mixture all over the base of the slice tray or ovenproof dish and then push down all over it with your fingers to create an even and thin base.
- Place the pastry crust into the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until it is just starting to colour on the edges but not until it’s fully cooked.
- While the base is cooking, make the topping by whisking together all of the topping ingredients in a large pouring jug or a mixing bowl with a pouring lip. Whisk until the majority of the sugar has dissolved. This should take about 40-60 seconds of hard whisking.
- Once the base is cooked, open the oven door and pour the topping directly onto the base and then cook it for another 17-20 minutes or until the whole slice is set and slightly golden at the edges.
- Let the slice cool in the pan for at least half an hour before placing it in the fridge. Let it chill completely in the fridge before turning it out of the pan and slicing into your preferred shapes.
- The tart will keep well for 2 days covered in the fridge.