A few weeks back, I showed you a mini haul that I picked up at some Asian grocers around Canberra. I called that post ‘part 1’ as I fully intend to visit more of these grocers to review for you. So today, here is part 2. I visited T and E Asian Grocer at the Fyshwick Fresh Food Markets. You can find T and E’s facebook page and location details here.
I didn’t purchase much at all, as honestly I didn’t need much. But I madly typed notes into my phone as I walked around the shop, as they had a lot of good items that I know can be hard to find.
Some groceries and brands that stood out for me at T and E Asian Grocer were:
- A&W Root Beer (an American fave of mine)
- Frozen taro, cassava and purple yam (ube)
- A great selection of multicultural herbs and spices including taco seasoning, which might normally be seen as out of place at an Asian grocer.
- Ube swirl ice cream (yum, definitely want to try that one another time)
- Ube jam
- Halo halo mix and jars of sweet beans and coconut gel in syrup
- Kool Aid
- Chipotle peppers
- Canned pumpkin
- Marshmallow fluff
- Jim Beam Sauces
- Maple Syrup
- Tapioca pearls – white, black and multicoloured
- Soy sauce in little plastic fishies (like you get a sushi take away places)
- Takoyaki and okonomiyaki sauces
Told you they had Reese’s :) I couldn’t go past a jar of this. I also hadn’t bought any fried shallots yet, so I grabbed these for the new pantry.
I’m slowly re-building my spice pantry with my favourite herbs and spices. I got some cumin, sweet paprika and nutmeg. These were all very reasonably priced in my opinion. I’d already transferred the cumin seeds into an air tight jar, but there was a lot in that packet.
Powdered ube. I couldn’t go past this. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with this. Perhaps I could use it to make my own ube ice cream for home made halo halo? I’ll be sure to let you know if I have good results with it.
T and E has a great selection of imported items, including the largest range of American, Mexican and Canadian groceries that I have seen in Canberra. I noticed groceries from:
- The Philippines
I think I’ll do the various Asian grocers in Dickson next. Perhaps I need to do some more South East Asian cooking to warrant a visit :)