Last weekend, Key and I had a fantastic long weekend, which included going to Biota at Bowral. The 7 course meal at Biota was absolutely fantastic and the wine matching was spot on. Needless to say though, over the course of the weekend, we ate plenty and despite bush walking up a massive hill on the Saturday, I felt like I needed some salad and vegetable-heavy meals this week. It’s probably also a good time to post a savoury and less calorie-laden recipe, as things have been decidedly sweet around here for a while now.
Now don’t get me wrong, you know by now that I am no health-nut, so while this crispy kale salad with avocado is based around kale which is super good for you, it also has some crispy panko crumbs and a creamy avocado dressing that are super tasty.
As always, when making a dressing, use a good quality extra virgin olive oil. I’m using this Cobram Easte EVOO which I picked up recently and it is excellent quality.
You will need about 1 bunch of kale for this recipe. Trim the leaves from any thick or woody parts of the stem.
To make the super creamy dressing, add the avocado, some evoo, lemon juice, garlic and a generous pinch of salt and pepper to a food processor. Process until well combined and creamy. You can adjust the garlic depending on how much you like the taste of hot, raw garlic and / or depending on how much you like to have garlic breath :)
The shallow fried panko crumbs give a nice crunchy element to the kale salad. if you want to keep it super clean and healthy though, you could substitute with some nuts for that crunch element.
Assemble just before serving by tossing together the chopped kale, avocado dressing and the crispy panko in a large bowl.
This kale salad with avocado dressing it best eaten at room temperature shortly after assembling.
I’ve made this crispy kale salad a few times now. Key and I enjoyed it with some pork chops, it was a crunchy side salad to a creamy trout and chorizo risotto that I made for mum and dad and the day that these photos were taken, I had made it again for mum as she enjoyed it so much. After I took these photos, we tucked into it with some tasty gourmet pork sausages and some sweet potato chips that Key expertly barbecued.
Crispy Kale Salad with Avocado Dressing
Ingredients – Serves 3-4 as a side salad
- ½ tsp of butter
- 1 tbs of neutral oil
- 1/3 cup of panko crumbs
- 1 avocado, peeled and seed removed
- 2 tbs of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 tbs of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and finely grated
- 1 eschalot, peeled and finely chopped, or substitute with ¼ of a red onion
- 150g of chopped kale leaves, stems removed. That’s approximately 1 bunch.
- To make the crispy panko crumbs, add the tbs of oil and the butter to a frying pan and place over medium heat.
- Once the butter and oil are bubbling, add the panko crumbs. Shallow fry, stirring often, until the crumbs are golden and crispy. This should take about 2-3 minutes.
- Once the crumbs are cooked, set them aside on a plate in a fairly shallow layer so that they don’t get soggy.
- To make the dressing, add the avocado, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and a generous pinch of salt and pepper to a food processor. Process until well combined and creamy. Add the chopped eschalot and check the seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if required.
- Assemble just before serving by tossing together the chopped kale, avocado dressing and the crispy panko in a large bowl. Best eaten at room temperature shortly after assembling.